Wednesday 27 August 2014

Russell Howard: Wonderbox

So, I went and saw Russell Howard live in the Bristol Hippodrome on the 13th of August, as I mentioned in my last post. But I didn't really talk much about it.

So, as I said my boyfriend got me tickets for Christmas last year which was lovely. I really enjoy Russell Howard's comedy and he is from around my area which makes him a little more special to me. I don't know how old you had to be to watch him live, but his jokes were slightly adult in humour but that is his style and its perfect to me.

The bonus of watching him in a place like the hippodrome is that it is small, so irregardless of where you sit, you always have a good view and you don't have to watch on a huge tv screen which kind of spoils the 'live' idea really, because I could have got a better view at home. I don't really see the point in watching things like comedy in huge arenas because you're so far away from the act there is literally no point. However, I understand people wanting to be there for the atmosphere, but I don't really think there is much of an exciting atmosphere for comedy as there may be for music. People may disagree, but I just don't think it's the same. I digress. 

Of course the prices of food and drink were ridiculously over-priced just as much as the merchandise was, but I think you should expect that from going to a gig. That's just what it's like. Even though the prices were so high any normal person would scream and pack food and drink before hand, I managed to buy a few things. To be honest, I personally only spent £20, which was on the Russell Howard Wonderbox tee. 


Yes, it is a well made t-shirt but I hardly think it is worth £20. I bought it anyway because to be honest, I am not going to buy it anywhere else and it was just to commemorate the evening, so I reasoned with my spending. Tim, my boyfriend, spent the most money, as he said it was my Christmas present so he insisted. He only bought me two things, but it did come to a grand total of £15.70. Yes, two things. Those two things were; 1 programme for the show and 1 archers and lemonade. The programme was £10 and the drink was £5.70! That is very pricey but ah well, I didn't pay did I. *sniggers*

Russell said that the name 'Wonderbox' has German origin where they used to keep a box with lots of memorable moments and stories in it to share with generations and even the world. He named his show 'Wonderbox', as he ended (much like on Good News) with a heart warming story of a boy who Russell met who was losing his fight with cancer and invited Russell to his wedding, but making sure he only wore the penis costume (Mr Dildo) from one of his episodes. But, the boy made a miraculous recovery and Russell invited him on stage wearing the penis costume. The boy looked wonderfully healthy and it was nice that he had become friends with one of his favourite comedians. Also, everyone clapped for a long while in the hippodrome for the boy, and the fact that Russell went on request to see this dying child makes me regain faith in humanity during all this conflict and sadness all across the world.

Overall, I had one of the best times watching Russell Howard perform that night and he is just as good on TV as he is in real life. It's now an awesome feeling when I watch him on TV as I have seen him so close in Bristol. He is my favourite comedian and it's a shame I couldn't tell him that he means a lot to me. I really want to thank my awesome boyfriend for giving me the ticket for that night as it was one of the best/funniest nights of my life and I doubt I shall ever forget it.

Thanks for reading!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment